PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guy Martin D Day Landing
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2019, 08:45

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Many thanks to AA62 et al for the Abingdon answer. Not a drop zone I used! Did do the 4 jump course at PTS there in 66 or 67! I can remember the sound of the breaking ties, before the canopy deployed, on my first balloon jump and the call of, "well done sir", from the PJI above. First aircraft jump was a Beverley, nice flat side door, perfect exit and ride down the slipstream with my feet bobbing up and down in front of me just visible over the reserve. Second aircraft jump was an Argosy. Not so good, Rounded fuselage made it far more difficult to make a stable driving exit so lots of twists, just like Guy. Never thought then that I would end up not just dropping at WoG but would be training others to do so!
Severe respect to Guy and all the paras before and after him that his drop was honouring
I was post JATFOR but when I think of the effort that went into a 15 ship exercise battalion drop, one can really admire the organisation and committment of those involved that went into all the big drops of WW2.