PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlantic Barons
Thread: Atlantic Barons
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2019, 15:29
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
As a young co-pilot, I use to enjoy making case studies of the captains I flew with. Despite what is sometimes said, most of the Atlantic Barons were perfectly OK and most were good pilots and good commanders. It was the exceptions who stood out and who gave the others a bad name.

In pursuit of my studies (!!), I once had the temerity to have a couple of beers with 'The Blade' and inquire why he demanded always to be called 'Sir'. Surprisingly, he didn't hit the roof but explained at great length how, in his view, standards of behaviour were slipping and he was determined to stop it. When I suggested his method seemed counterproductive he didn't see the point. But at least he didn't lose his temper with me.

On another occasion, when I was in the right hand seat, we were flying with an engineer with whom he had had a 'major disagreement'. He refused to speak to him even while in the air. He ran the flight by saying, "Mr, B (that's me), please ask Mr. D to give me 86%." Or, "Mr. B, please ask Mr D for the remaing fuel on board."

To give him his due, he was icely polite, but what a way to run a flight deck!!