PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus groundspeed mini & unstable approaches
Old 11th Jun 2019, 10:03
Uplinker

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts
Many aspects of the (excellent) Airbus FBW family are poorly understood or not understood at all. Examples include how to use the sidestick and Fly-by-wire combination, another is G/S mini.

...............what can I do about it?..........causes problems.........enormously high approach speed**........There are 2 ways to overcome this............or the more common method is to immediately select a speed (say 160kts) and wait for the gust to die down. As soon as it has done so, you manage the speed again
The parts I have highlighted in bold worry me - especially from a training captain ?!? Selecting and pulling speed while flying a turbulent approach, when hands should be on the primary controls is distracting, unnecessary and not a good plan. It will also leave an Airbus in a poor energy state.

One does not need to ‘overcome’ or otherwise ‘fix’ G/S mini. It is there to keep us safe: one simply lets it and the A/THR do their job !

** Look at your groundspeed.

Last edited by Uplinker; 11th Jun 2019 at 10:18.