PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 11th Jun 2019, 02:01
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

No need for an AoA indicator to trim. Not even in the shuttle.

Depending on the control laws, electronic or those of actual Sopwith Camels, seems to me that I used the trim to reduce control pressure. Sometimes it was to maintain an attitude, and sometimes to help in a long, hard turn. However, after I got to the fast movers, I had no mechanical connection to the actual control surfaces. So I had no actual "touch" !!! Well, I could still sense burble as I got at high AoA. I could feel gee. So I was not "completely" outta touch. I only used AoA for approaches to validate the rough speed numbers for weight and drag.
=============================
In all fairness to those trying to meet the FAR requirements, those requirements need to be updated. The MCAS kludge was supposed to deal with control pressure versus AoA. But where was that measured? If it was the control stick/column/yoke versus connecting cables, pushrods or hydraulic vales, then what was between them and the surfaces? I cannot find that in the MCAS literature and rationale. OTOH, if the measure of merit was control surface position/ force versus pitch moments, then we might have problems.

The Airbus 320 and following must have a great amount of waivers, exceptions and so forth to gain their certification in the U.S. Unless in the "direct" law, there are many sftwe modules and sensors dictating control surface movement and rate of movement and position. To treat the requirement like a P-51 or Spitfire is not possible. Nevertheless, the plane ( 'bus 320 +) and its family have been certified and have had a really good track record.

Gums sends...