PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Comet and Trident at Wroughton
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2019, 22:46
Amos Keeto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Re Science Museum collection at Wroughton

Concerned that the Science Museum at Wroughton are now asking for tenders to display their aircraft, I wrote this letter on 29th April addressing it to:

Matt Moore, the Wroughton Manager; Directors Robert James & Will Stanley, Science Museum and copied in to my MP Robert Buckland

Dear Matt,

I am a long-serving aviation journalist and author, locally based in Swindon, only a couple of miles from you.
I am sorry, but I have to express my despair and dismay at the lack of commercial enterprise in not allowing public access to view the Science Museum collection at Wroughton!
You used to have occasional Open Days, but not any more. This collection is supposed to be saved ‘for future generations’, so why are they hidden away and not being given access by those they are saved for?

I am now 69 years of age and would love to show my Grandson the collection, but when visits are requested, ridiculous sums are quoted or that old adage ‘Health & Safety is quoted to deter any visits.
Now you are advertising for partners to display the collection – not surprising, as if there was any initiative for commercial enterprise, you would open up the collection on a regular basis and charge a nominal sum.
I know you did not get the hoped for Lottery Grant to develop the collection into a proper museum, so that should have given you a wake-up call to try and do something to generate funds.
Meanwhile this collection remains hidden away and no doubt deteriorating due to lack of money, staff or any will to change things!
If properly organised this collection would generate much-needed tourism for the area and is completely wasted hidden away!

Yours sincerely,

I tagged the e.mail letter with a 'read receipt' - result stoney silence!!!!