PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK versus BA
Thread: EK versus BA
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2019, 22:03
ExDubai

Location: Escaped the sandpit 53° 32′ 9.19″ N, 9° 50′ 13.29″ E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomuchwork
Being a former QR(not EK but more or less the same crap) skipper. Agree on everything you wrote. You did not mention that many EK skippers went to european LOW COST(!) just to be back home and enjoy real life. The "Paycut" is a thing everyone has to decide for himself, I easily skipped that money for a chance to be back in much more safe and stable Europe, giving my family a more "real" life then that one of the typical Middle Eastern Expat. All a choice in life.

I never wanted "to turn back time" and felt sorry for leaving the middle east. God no. Most likely the best decission I ever made in my work life leaving the ME.

Again - I wrote that already above - nowadays choices are, IMHO(of course), much easier then, let's say 15-20 years ago. It was still a good thing to go to the ME at that time(and even then I did not like it and left), or the SWIRE group for instance. Now all of them are of no interest for any experienced (european) pilot except you seek adventure of course, that is a different thing. But career wise, money wise, no way.

The new gold mine is China(that I would personally never touch), safe and good jobs are in the US(for their citizens, would never go over there as well with all their "legacy" bs(no offence)) and Europe(for us Europeans). Really simple nowadays I think.

ME might be still a good choice for pilots from the indian subcontinent, asia, africa(as it always was). Much money to make for them compared to their home countries with similar "benefits" on retirement and health care. Always a point of view what is good and what not.
Add. point, @EK you‘ll be bonded for 5 years, after the upgrade another bond. So you’re trapped for some time.