PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreadful Films: A Great Shame On Brave Men
Old 10th Jun 2019, 17:39
Chugalug2

Received 227 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by ve3id
"Bums in seats, mate, bums in seats", was what the producer said to A.J Chegwidden in the show 'JAG' when he complained about the technical errors in a film in which AJ was supposed to be technical adviser!
No wiser words were ever spoken. The movie industry is just that and indeed shares the same business model as Civil Aviation. Ever since Errol Flynn drove the Imperial Japanese Army out of Burma single handed, the agenda has been clear that the only detail that matters is that the War (any war?) was won by the USA.

BTW, I'm not familiar with JAG, but Wiki tells me that AJ is a fictional character. Presumably the producer was speaking to the actor who plays AJ, John M Jackson, or was this about a film within a film? In any case AJ is the kind of boss I myself would want :-

On more than one occasion Chegwidden put his career on the line to back his staff or to help them when they needed it. According to Harriet Sims, the Admiral went to his boss, the Secretary of the Navy, pleading in letter, citing legal precedent, why Bud Roberts should not be passed over for promotion (Roberts was no longer qualified for sea duty after losing a leg to a land mine while rescuing an Afghani boy who had wandered into a minefield). The usual result of being passed over for promotion three times is involuntary separation from the Navy (in Bud's case, forced retirement on medical grounds). Bud's promotion to Lieutenant Commander was duly made and administering the oath of office was what Chegwidden considered to be his last official act as Judge Advocate General
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Chegwidden

Last edited by Chugalug2; 10th Jun 2019 at 18:01. Reason: names dear boy, names