PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atlantic Barons
Thread: Atlantic Barons
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2019, 21:37
olster

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
This is a potentially interesting topic. I also got my first job with late lamented Dan Air in the 70s. I flew with former wartime captains and the concept of CRM was not a twinkle in anyone’s eye. I think it is fair to say that the bad ones were really, really bad and the good ones were great and would have been in any era. While Dan Air did not have the perceived status of the national carrier the pilots were the same mix of military, Hamble, self improvers etc. However, as has been already said the vast majority were decent grounded people, yes we had lady pilots even then, who just got the job done as effectively as possible. Of course political correctness was also a twinkle etc and Dan even had an all female cabin crew policy which continued into the 80s. Smoking in the cockpit was common although very unpleasant and ‘banter’ was the Lingus Franca of the cockpit which would probably make the more sensitive types of the modern world shudder...

I came across the last era of the real Atlantic Barons when joining the woolly pullover airline in 1990 as a first officer. The retired 747 captains from BA were extending their careers; there were some real shockers in that group,but the vast majority were good guys.