PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHOENIX "rescue" No thanks!
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2019, 16:32
roscoe1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No further injuries indeed. Here is a quote from her husband who was with her. You don't endure that many g's without injury. I'll bet there are broken capillaries in her feet as well.

vto Mac and Gaydos of KTAR radio (92.3 FM) on Thursday, describing his wife's injuries as more severe than originally reported.

Metro said he and his wife, experienced hikers, were coming down the peak and were on flat terrain when the 74-year-old "stubbed her toe" and fell forward. She broke her nose, cut her face, and injured her left hand and right leg. Metro stemmed the bleeding and called rescuers, who sent the helicopter.

"I didn't know what to think," Metro said of seeing the rescue basket begin spinning wildly after it was aloft. "It was very scary and I think I went into shock."

Metro walked a mile back to his car, then drove to John C. Lincoln Hospital and was surprised to see that his wife appeared in worse shape than when he last saw her.

"I just couldn't believe her," he told the radio hosts. "Her eyes were all blackened. Her face was all black and blue. Her hands and feet were black and blue. I said 'Jesus, what happened?'"

A nurse explained to him that "the blood went all the way to her head and broke the small vessels in her face," he said.

His wife told him that "she thought she was going to die" while the basket spun. "She took deep breaths ... breathed in and out. She didn't know when it was all going to end."

Metro thanked the medical staff at the hospital. His wife is "still so weak she hasn't been able to get out of bed. We're hoping that changes. Her face is still swollen."