PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who knew the RAF were on Omaha Beach on D-Day?!
Old 8th Jun 2019, 14:19
vimhawkraf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Agatha
Many thanks MAINJAFAD

The Association has taken upon itself the task of protecting and promoting the heritage and achievements of the 'radar' units and the people who manned, operated and maintained the systems during WW2. Specifically this year for the 70th Anniversary, we are hoping to promote the D-Day participation of RAF radar units who took part in the assault phase and are producing a pamphlet on the topic for the Bentley Priory Battle of Britain Museum and the Air Defence Radar Museum so the additional information you provided will be invaluable to the Heritage team who are currently doing the bulk of the research

I'll also make the Heritage team aware of your interest and knowledge as they may wish to PM you to swap stories!

Thanks again
Hello there. I have found nothing online to suggest this, but I contend that in addition to the two FDPs that have been mentioned in several sources as landing on D-Day, 15053 FDP/GCI also landed on D-Day on Sword. I don't know why this has never appeared anywhere, but there are several reasons why I think this. Firstly my father was in the unit and he told me. Of course a father may well exaggerate things for his son, but I have also corresponded with two other people whose fathers served in 15053 and they said the same thing. Secondly I have a map showing the path of 15053 through Europe apparently produced by the unit itself called "'53 Action". It shows landing on the 6th. Thirdly I have my father's copy of the unit's operational record in terms of contacts made that resulted in kills. It shows where they were on each date (they got by far the most of their action when in Eindhoven), and it also shows "Landed" on 6 June. I understand there are official records of the unit at Kew, and I hope to get down there one day to find out more.