PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does putting Eng Anti-Icing on (increase air bleed use) help control engine rpm
Old 8th Jun 2019, 00:20
Le Flaneur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The C-17 engine is derivative of the PW 2000 used on the B757. In the C-17 they are flat rated to 40,400 lbsf to 30 C. I am sure there are other differences, but the biggest obvious difference is the C-17 has a core thrust reserver in addition to the fan reserver that the B757 version has.

The thrust reversers are used on the ground to back the aircraft, a useful feature in an unimproved landing zone. The C-17 can back up a 2% grade at up to maximum gross weight (585,000 lbs). This capability was demonstrated during development on McChord AFB taxiway H. C-17 flight crews routinely back the aircraft into parking using reverse thrust.

The flight manual (T.O. 1C-17A-1) states that while backing the aircraft, further protection from engine surge may be achieved by selecting engine cowl anti-ice on for the period of time reverse thrust must be used above idle. I have seen similar procedures (turning on engine anti-ice) to clear compressor stalls in other aircraft.

I've always thought that applying a bleed load like the engine anti-ice reduced the compressor load (meaning that the compressor wasn't producing the same compression ratio). However, it would seem that the engine control would compensate to keep the engine operating at the same RPM.

Would be nice to hear from a propulsion engineer. Thank you