PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in South Africa - PPL(A)
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2019, 13:42
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should have been there in the days of the little red pillar box control tower. Rwy 35 then, as now, is the runway of choice, as indeed is 03 at Smuts, whereas, of course, you need rocks in your head if you prefer 35 at Rand, given the same wind conditions all round. Back in those days the guys flying the Commanders for Eskom thought themselves rather magnificent. Some of the Rennies chaps were a little full of the joys of spring too. A wheels up landing in a Seneca on a training flight, in spite of repeated warnings from the man in the little red pillar box, put a stop to much of that corporate nonsense, everybody screws up from time to time.
My goodness, I can clearly recall the day the first Tomahawk, that's a PA 112, came to FAGC. Took it up on a flight on account of an open instructor rating. What a horrific machine and totally unsuited to the Reef. Climb ceiling was about 8,500ft and that's on the ground on a hot highveldt day. Spin recoveries were very scary and enacted with great promptitude.
Then........oh well, perhaps one day I'll write a book......I salute the memory of Harold, a really good egg.