PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tyre/wheel damage, retract the landing gear?
Old 7th Jun 2019, 11:17
CW247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tyre/wheel damage, retract the landing gear?

A320 specific but suppose it can apply to any aircraft....
The following question was inspired by a dream last night. I woke up before it turned into a nightmare! Well actually, it's a scenario I've experienced in the sim in the past but it got me thinking. We don't take this scenario nearly as seriously as other things.

Just before V1, you hear a bang, followed by a judder and an ECAM warning WHEEL TYRE LO PR . You rotate, PM calls "Positive Climb".

Question: Would you want to raise the landing gear? (assuming not performance limited for departure).

Of course it would be unwise to continue to destination with this condition. There is potentially a lot of damage to the tyre, wheel and more. My biggest concern is that by raising the landing gear, we would be taking all that mess into the wheel hold, risking either the doors not closing/opening properly or the gear unable to extend later on. The tyre(s) and wheel(s) could be cooked, and we would be bringing it all closer to the fuel tanks. The FCOM and FCTM doesn't advise on the matter. The landing gear question (to raise or not to raise) needs to be answered pretty early on but SOP demands it is retracted 5 seconds after lift off. Any thoughts?