PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Want to see the Dakota armada heading for France, places to be
Old 6th Jun 2019, 17:58
Icare9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I persuaded Mrs Axe to come to Beachy Head (originally just going to under the flypast route). Found a parking spot by lucky chance by the pub at just after 12 thinking plenty of time for a beer and grub before the flypast....
God knows how that "manager" keeps his job, not on site as "didn't know about the event" and of the 4 pump stations, 3 were used by guests who'd booked tables, leaving the world and his wife queueing out the door. Poor lad was not only taking food orders, but not content with leaving him to pull pints and concoct drinks, also running the hot drinks station.

Well over 45 minutes and then told they weren't serving food if sitting in the front garden, only the rear garden or inside! So, with Mrs Axe left for an hour with two increasingly grumpy dogs tethered while waiting for me to emerge, I just ordered cheapest drinks and bags of crisps. They would have taken ten times as much simply by having staff go round the garden areas taking orders, and ensuring someone was pulling pints continually to serve much of the queue and thus reduce the delays all round. We would happily have spent for drinks and meals had it been better organised.

As to the flypast, yes, heard about the delay, but not why, although rumours were of a senior French dignitary being late, but by 5 pm Mrs Axe was frozen solid as we never expected to be out in the elements for almost 5 hours. Have to say the delay took some of the gloss off, just two Vic's then the rest straggled past, some wing waggling and landing lights flashing. Yes, pleased to have been witness to a momentous event I'll probably never see again, but Daks Over Normandy must have been frustrated that so much time and effort ended up being less of a spectacle than given to believe.

To upset the dogs more, we were off to Shoreham today for my birthday flight to Sandown and back from Shoreham. Big Shout Out to Andy for his patience in letting a leaden limbed chump take the controls.
Thoroughly enjoyed every minute and now the dogs have had a good run, I'm forgiven!