PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2019, 08:04
Twiglet1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Whites 2 Reds
hmmmm...

When I went fatigued it was very easy and dealt with by one of our fantastic DFCMs (most of them are bloody good in my experience). I apologised and felt (wrongly I guess) as though I'd let the company down or dropped them in it some how to cover my roster. I was very impressed at the response I received and reassured that this was a daily occurrence and an extremely regular conversation.

What wasn't so clever was the DFCM (no names mentioned) who picked it up a day or so later and explained how I'm fine now I've had 24 hours at home and would likely be ready for work as they're very short of FO's. When I said no I was subtly interrogated on my drives to work, rest management / arrangements between day trips and home life situation. It was disappointing to say the least when I was then asked at the end of the call to put it all in writing via email. Gave them both barrels on my email but smelt a rat.....so when I was back in I had a look in the system audit trail to find that my fatigue had been re classified. Never got to the bottom of what to but I insisted it was changed back. The trail went cold but suspect it was re categorised. Shame really, it's just masking the problems.

Overall, a very very good experience initially but the follow up and company audit trail wasn't good at all.
My advice when calling in fatigued is either call your Manager first (or immediately after a call to Crewing) and ideally don't email him. Why call your Manager? Firstly why not and secondly it means your being open and honest.
One of the two UK AOC's with approved FRMS now get a sleep scientist (who has done work for AOC's and BALPA to maintain a good balance) to give "science of sleep" training to all their Crew, Crewing staff etc. It might help if BA put some of their Pilot Managers in touch?