PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-47's to Normandy
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2019, 02:18
WHBM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
The spectacle at Duxford was great, especially the mass departure when DC-3 after DC-3 rolled past us. It was pleasant that the flight line was opened up late morning for a close up (as in "fingers on") inspection of the aircraft, including being able to see just what was different in build standard between a DC-3 an a Lissunov Li-2. And it wasn't just the aircraft, the paratroopers with what appeared to be D-Day kit (including leaves on the helmet and blackened faces) got good rounds of applause as they went out. Almost all were US military who had come over specially for it.

Announcer said I think 23 aircraft departed, and 2 DC-3 left AOG at the end of the day, which must have been a big disappointment to their individual crews. Told that the Dakota Norway DC-3 had an engine failure the previous day. Weather held all day, just. (sudden torrential downpour on the M11 passing Stansted when returning; hope the aircraft didn't run into it).

The delay was indeed disappointing. NOTAM (above) was depart at 1340 local, with 1510 as a reserve. The Duxford announcer, who for long periods seemed to be struggling with no information, said the knockback to the reserve time was due to a "VVIP requirement in France". But then a further hour delay. First engine start was 1600, and most away by 1620, so 2.5 hours late. I think the original intention was for the 8 with jumpers to be away first, the others following later, but in the event all left as a single stream.

The other disappointment is there seems to be absolutely nothing about the whole operation in the media, who have concentrated entirely on pictures of the top politicians whose photos can be seen in the news any other day of the year. A BBC News badged helicopter was there but I can't find any footage on the BBC. A second chopper was apparently from The Sun, and at least they seem to have put their stuff on YouTube here PDQ.