PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C-47's to Normandy
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2019, 21:17
Icare9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
What happened? Wife, dogs and I went to Beachy Head thinking that would be a super spot, as did several thousands of others.
Got there about 12:30 and found the last parking space at the Beachy Head pub.
Idea was to have a good lunch at a dog friendly pub, and still have plenty of time to watch the flypast

All i can say is that if the pub management had been in charge of D Day, the troops would still be waiting to board!
Abysmal handling, 4 sets of pumps at the bar, but 3 allocated to those with Reserved tables and just one chap handling all food and drink requests, including MAKING all hot drinks- result? 45 minute wait just to get served. No food orders taken unless you had a table number and no food served at the front beer garden.
In addition, as it was the 75th anniversary there was a preponderance of elderly people, some with wheelchairs but simply unable to stand for any length of time....
I could rant for much longer but then the flypast time came and went, yes, reserve flight plan showed them coming an hour later... Eventually, with a wife suffering from frost bite and two very bored dogs the fly past happened at just on 5 o'clock. Two vics managed to pass, then isolated ones or twos, no cohesive formation.

A very weary and cold crowd gave frantic waves, partly to restore circulation to numbed arms and several of the aircraft tried to cheer with landing lights flickering or blazing, one or two waggled their wings. I felt sorry for those embarking on the parachute drops, by now the visibility and weather were poor, and the stiff breeze could mean being blown back towards the Channel.

I do hope my experience was a minority and the abysmal handling of customers by Vintage inns managers didn't help.

Rumours were that the delay was due to "French dignitaries (Macron mentioned) being late arriving... where? in Portsmouth or Normandy?

So disappointing for the Daks Over Normandy people who spent so long and worked so hard to arrange a once in a lifetime event (unless over 75).

Hope others have a more positive view.