PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avionixs Skyecho2
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2019, 20:07
Stall Inducer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve taken the plunge and bought SE2. I’ve tried it out for the first time over the last week on several flights. Initial impressions are that it is a good piece of kit. I picked up traffic immediately after my first takeoff with it from an uncontrolled grass strip which I wouldn’t have otherwise known about. It picks up the ADS B well. I’ve bought the FLARM subscription but have yet to see any gliders despite having been over the south/ south west uk last Saturday in prime glider territory & weather. The gliders I did see were not picked up by SE2. I chose it over Pilot aware Rosetta as I often fly in areas not covered by the OGN stations & wanted to pick up glider traffic in particular.I also wanted something that was robust & minimal fuss to set up & attach.
Good points - battery life seems good I’ve used it over about 6 hours now and the battery had only just gone into the less than 66%
- Most the traffic I was advised of by LARS I already had displayed in SkyDemon
GPS is reliable & accurate.
-Easy to set up - just be aware that when you set it up you have to enter your aircrafts HEX code (available from G-INFO) in both the sky echo set up & sky demon set up as well.

Not so good points- easy to switch on by mistake in transit. (i recommend you buy the case)
- I’m a bit disappointed it doesn’t display ‘bearingless’ targets from mode c&s transponders as I bought it with the understanding that it did so their website is misleading in that respect.

If the ADS B transmit function was permitted I believe it would be a fantastic bit of kit. Until then it’s a bit limited for those of us with a Mode C/S transponder. I haven’t seen or used the Pilot aware Rosetta & believe that if in range of the OGN networks it may be the better product in terms of what you see.
In short I believe the the SE2 shows ADS-B & FLARM where as the Pilot aware has the ability to show ADS-B, Pilot aware uses & FLARM (when in range of an OGN network) I believe it may also show bearingless Mode C/S transponders as well although I stand to be corrected on this.