PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreadful Films: A Great Shame On Brave Men
Old 5th Jun 2019, 06:16
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Dreadful Films: A Great Shame On Brave Men

I have recently obtained the films: "Lancaster Skies" and "303 Squadron" on DVD.

The subject matter is first a bomber crew coming to terms with losing their pilot and getting a former fighter pilot as replacement, whilst the second is loosely related to the Poles of 303 Sqn.

The CGI work is good but the acting and attention to detail is IMHO dire in the extreme. In one scene an officer is seen wearing the current pattern of RAF airman's SD hat and several shots show 'queens crowns' on other hats. In the first film, saluting without a hat, collar attached shirts, in the second the current style of NCO rank stripes and a shed load of other 'continuity' errors and lack of accuracy spoil what - in both cases - is serious subject matter.

The current Mrs Old Duffer (herself a 20 year veteran, in the mob) and I watched the first film for about 20 minutes and gave up and the second film didn't last much longer before removing to a safe distance!

A very disappointing outcome to serious subjects and much of it unnecessary had reasonable steps been taken by the makers.

Just my views of course!

Old Duffer - in grumpy mood!