PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 4th Jun 2019, 17:44
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

"As was feared....." Uh huh. No need to see the real deal. No need to conduct tests that fail things in conditions that the engineers never thot of. You know...... at high alpha ( not speed!!!!).

Chuck Wannabe, "this new plane has a light stick when close to the stall"
Non-pilot engineer, "No problem, we can crank the stab up a bit so it's harder to pull back to a higher AoA ( NOTE!!! not speed, but AoA). In all the Boeng FCOM stuff I have accessed, the term "speed" is used lots more that AoA. yet MCAS and the stall shaker use AoA as the primary driver. Even STS is named "speed xxx xx" Yet AoA in most condiitions determines the need for trim, or am I too old? And isn't AoA that determines stall regardless of gee or true airspeed or bank angle or.......

Pilot, "errrr, what about the elevator feel system, won't it make it harder to pull back ?".

Engineer, "nope. apparently moving motors and doing other stuff reduces longitudinal pitch moments when a few degrees AoA below stall., and the feel system uses airspeed more than AoA"

Pilot, "why use the stab to increase back stick force versus the existing elevator feel sytem that affects the column?

Engineer, "well, the EFS uses speed more than AoA. You know, the old dynamic pressure we call "q" that the FBW folks use for what they call "gains" and you guys call indicated airspeed or pounds per foot squared or ..... there must be fifty ways......"

Pilot, "Oh, but what about the increasing back column force if the AoA is really high, and not just due to "q"?"

Engineer, : Hmmmmm...... may have to fly another test flight or two or three........"

Gums sends...
P.S. Wait until you see my questions at the trials of the survivors WRT mis-management and possible negligence resulting in a few hundreddeaths. @ mods..... maybe need a thread over on Tech Log, huh? We all appreciate your patience and apolitical stance thus far in this debacle. Salute!

Last edited by gums; 4th Jun 2019 at 20:09.