PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing zone
Thread: Landing zone
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2019, 16:00
gonebutnotforgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to my Annex 14 (section 5) for runways>2400m, the normal Aiming Point marking starts at 400m from Threshold, while for runways between 1200m and 2400m it would start at 300m from THR. The TDZ markings, pairs of parallel stripes, are placed at 150m intervals from the THR, There should be 6 pairs for runways >2400m, but typically only 5 appear because of overlap with the Aiming Point marks. The TDZ for a 2400m+ runway therefore extends from 150m to 900m (plus the length of the stripe!), while for a runway between 1500m and 2400m it would extend from 150m to 600m.... for the sake of completeness, the standard is actually stated in terms of the distance between opposing thresholds or landing distance available, rather than the physical length of the runway

I wouldn't have written the manual the Luc's company has. The important point is to touch down within the TDZ however long it is, and if you are still airborne at its end, Go Around and have another go. Much easier to remember and doesn't overfill your mind with numbers. Runway overruns are heavily biased towards those who don't follow this simple rule. I always made a point of it during pre landing briefs, and got the impression from P2s that I was not in the majority.