PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASA ripoff Dick on webcams
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2019, 12:15
Squawk7700

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Clinton McKenzie
The Skycam Network cameras I installed on my hangar at YCTM used to randomly ‘go black’ permanently. Or maybe it was the router to which they are connected.

Anyhow, I put a timer in the power line that automatically turns off the router and camera power for 1 minute every night at midnight local time. Zero failures since then (except from 0000 to 0001 local each night).

Who knew that the solution to an IT problem would be to switch the gizmos off and then on again.
Very common, especially on 4G.

I had to do that exact same complex fix on all of my 4G sites. Telstra seem to do work around 12-1230 each morning and the routers go offline. Once they are offline you can’t get them working without a reboot, even if you call their not so friendly helpdesk in the Philippines.

Personally I set them to at least 2am because sometimes the Telstra tech is running late when he logs in and screws things up completely.

It’s also a pain on 4G routers because you need to use one that doesn’t have a battery, otherwise you can’t reboot it with a timer.