PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extinction Rebellion are threatening to shut down Heathrow Airport with drones
Old 4th Jun 2019, 03:07
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda

Ok cool, that’s an opinion, but how do you explain the 2015 NASA study saying the opposite ( for Antarctica)?
I’m not trying to bait you, I honestly want to know, why did the NASA study find an increase in volume?
Debunked here:

Why this 2015 NASA study is beloved by climate change skeptics

Basically, there were questions about the reliability of the methods of measurement used in that study which some scientists consider to be unreliable. And that the measurements were only conducted in one part of the continent.

Multiple subsequent studies conducted within the last 1-2 years, including ones by NASA, are showing a verified loss of ice in Antarctica.

You see questioning the way science is conducted amongst your colleagues, and then verifying conclusions with your own studies and having your colleagues review them again is called peer review for all you deniers out there.

And even the author of the 2015 study, NASA scientist Jay Zwally, is NOT a climate skeptic. He is in agreement with the IPCC conclusions and has said that his 2015 study is NOT to be used by deniers as evidence of a "warming hoax". These are his comments about the study:

"When our paper came out, I was very careful to emphasize that this is in no way contradictory to the findings of the IPCC report or conclusions that climate change is a serious problem that we need to do something about," he told Scientific American.

He also seemed aware some people would weaponize the study for political purposes.

"I know some of the climate deniers will jump on this, and say this means we don't have to worry as much as some people have been making out," he said. "It should not take away from the concern about climate warming."