PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using GPS ground speed to resolve Unreliable Airspeed
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 20:14
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomuchwork
yanrair

You are taking reference to "catastrophic" events and compare them to a simple blocked pitot or other system failure creating a single airspeed indicator to fail(or 2)?

You are NOT on the path to good airmanship, you are just heading in the right direction to deliver your license to the nice man behind the counter. IF there are no published procedures for a certain failure(e.g. the ones you mentioned), OF course you revert to experience and good airmanship.
If the CAPTAIN deems it necessary to deviate from procedures it is his right to do so. BUT afterwards he will need to explain what(and why) he did to the nice guys on the green table.
Dear Tomuchwork

I am indeed talking catastrophe since we are discussing how to avoid AF 447 and ET and Lionair and lots of others where the crew did or may have lost complete control due to overload, confusion and stress. It was a simple blocked pitot system that caused AF 447 which the pilots managed to turn into a catastrophe because - they didn't fully appreciate how to handle loss of airspeed information coupled with multiple warnings and AP disconnect. In ET and Lionair it looks like a failure of AOA started a chain of events that led to major overspeed of the plane. Not talking MCAS here, just loss of airspeed info and stick shakers.
In AF 447, having pitched the aircraft to some 15 deg. nose up and losing almost all airspeed, there was only one way out, and this is not covered in any manual I can assure you. They had about 15 seconds to realise, put plane into a very steep dive of about 40 degrees to break the stall and gently pull out over perhaps 30 seconds so as not to pull the wings off. Something like that, and it was not going to happen since first of all they had no idea what was going on, but IF THEY HAD it was all over anyway since to break a deep stall you have to dive, in the dark over the ocean decisively.In short you need to understand how to get out of a deep stall.
I confess that we may be into thread creep here so apologies. My point is, that "simple blocked pitot or other system failure creating a single airspeed indicator to fail(or 2)?" has caused many a crash.
Y