PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 09:40
PiggyBack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yanrair

Hi there Gums. Always enjoy your posts which throw up interesting points
Think this is the core of the problem. My view is that the pilots I grew up with were the top guns of the civil world. They needed to be. B747 quadruple engine failure. b744 turned upside down by intruder and lost 2 miles altitude in 90 seconds. Sioux City. Hudson River + a thousand more. All flown to the a safe landing, or least worst outcome as per Sioux City.
The thing is that however good the legendary pilots of yesteryear it is far safer now than in the past. I think there is a lot of selective memory and golden age fallacy going on.

I am not going to rehash the problems with MCAS but this was clearly behaviour of a system in the event of a single fault with a probability of a catastrophic outcome that was not small. You can argue that in the past the excellance of pilots meant that they would on average have handled it better, but it is irrelevant, it would still have a significant chance of causing a crash and it would still be considered an unacceptable design that must be rectified.