PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career in EK or work for regional in the USA? Help me guys.
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 16:53
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl
It shouldn't cost $12k to convert. you only need an FAA CPL + IR. The regionals will cover all the ATP costs, including accommodation and the CTP-ATP training that is now required before sitting the ATP theory exam. Regionals will also do the ATP checkride as part of the type rating.
Tinstaafl,

I may have misinterpreted your comments, but to my knowledge, if a person goes to the regionals taking Aussies, an FAA ticket isn't required. They take Aussies right off the boat with only CASA tickets and the training process gets them an FAA ATPL and type.

I'm assuming aviator35 would be handled the same way and only an assumption on my part. Of course, if he goes a non-regional route or a "non-Aussie" regional, the process will likely be different...and more expensive. The more knowledgeable can correct my understanding if needed.

The regional route restricts his list of potential employers. And, yes, regional life offers some lean years.