PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 09:45
tomuchwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know bases are VERY well filled, ESPECIALLY with FO(SO). I have seen very often up to 3(!!) stby in a 5 day block in their rosters.

For skippers it is a bit different - IMHO we are just at the "ok" level(RYR may beg to differ). If I am lucky I have one, with a lottery style of luck 2 stby in a 5 day block. Which makes it easy to cover any holiday/sick leave for the company. But I would not call it overstaffed on Captains side. Still doing close to 100 hours in May, don't know how you would call that.

Internal com(as well broadcasted to applicants) tells there will be no more DEC recruitment(which is a pity, because this guys bring the so important experience into the company, a "internal" breed captain has not really that much clue what is going) is suspended until further notice. Maybe 2020, but I guess they will go for DEFO in worst case, rest will be covered by Cadets as it is much cheaper for them and due to lack of experience they will, most likely, stay much longer with Ryanair as no other airline (especially with the next economic downturn around the corner) is willing to hire "green" pilots.

Keep the cadet applications going in, they will reply eventually. BUT - do not forget - MAX is grounded, so there are of course no new aircraft joining the fleet right now(no new pilots required), the MAX is expected to fly EARLIEST in August(I personally doubt it that it will fly so soon), meaning that ideally there are just 2 months left for high season, after that it will be reducing of the fleet for the winter(adverts already for winter part time/unpaid leave winter 2019/20).

Realisticly I do not see a very huge requirement EVEN for cadets at the moment. Maximum to grant internal upgrades(former cadet to Captain which requires another cadet to take his place), but again, if the base is already overly full it might be that they need no replacement for an upgrader. Even upgrades itself seem not necessary at the moment, but I think RYR prefers to have a stable pool of Captains in case the MAX flies earlier or if there is a sudden "exodus"(as it happened already in the past) of experienced skippers. Always a good idea to have some spare Captains....