PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 1st Jun 2019, 18:41
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

Prolly should discuss the technical stuff on other forum, but if I were on the review cmte for releasing the MAX for widespread use I would question Boeing about several aspects of their MCAS implementation from tht of a user viewpoint and an aero engineer and experienced pilot having flown half a dozen jets with various "gotchya's" and such.
@PEI I propose "q" because it appears MCAS uses mach to determine the amount of deflection and such. Gotta review, but seems mach became a player above 0.65 M or so.Without a good diagram of the function, we can only guess. But FCeng indicated that at higher mach the incrememntal stab movement is not only less but maybe not even as long of application.If the thing can use mach, then it can use "q'. That would avoid the severe forces that cause problems with the manual wheel trim, heh? It is not hard to design a simple analog chip that integrates AoA and Q to determine how much and how fast to move the stab in order to meet the requirements.

Let's face it. 10 seconds of nose down trim at a quarter degree per pulse is harsh!!! Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Yeager folks here will simply "go manual" as R2D2 is melting. But seriously, Boeing has to do more than recommend training and more adjustments to the kludge.

Gums sends...