PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extinction Rebellion are threatening to shut down Heathrow Airport with drones
Old 1st Jun 2019, 17:07
Cheltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of disconnected points.
1. Isnt Heathrow in the wrong place for expansion with a long approach over the city? Probabilities are always there
2. The aircraft manufacturers are coming to an interesting point in history. Today the target is the cheapest to operate, not the least impact on the environment. Designing a plane to fly not stop to australia is probably having more of an impact than designing one with a max range of half that and breaking the journey in two. Certainly the empty weight of that ultra long range plane will affect its performance if used on shorter sectors. Everyone seems to be adding structural weight to allow for more range. Am glad Airbus dismissed supersonics.. Its still a free market . At some point some change be it taxation on fuel or legislation will change things. I think the technical answers may exist but how you change an international market is beyond me.
3. I do not support the direct action of these people but I dont feel the issues are being progressed. What should these people do to make their concern heard?