View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2019, 12:14
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
More problems for Amanda.

PRESS & MEDIA RELEASE
London, June 1st. 12.00 noon.
**(Heart) Breaking News** Solo2Darwin
It was today announced that the Solo2Darwin Challenge of Amanda Harrison has been forced to pause in Beirut on the journey from the U.K. to Darwin, Australia.
“I am gutted, and it has taken a day for me to stop crying.” said Amanda, “But I have to face up to reality. I can’t go forward right now, so I have to be patient and go again as soon as the geo-politics are sorted out. I shall be back!”
Notices to Airman (NOTAMs) issued from the Pakistan, Indian and Oman air traffic control effectively closes airspace to east bound flights from Oman to Pakistan and India (below 24,000ft) which is way above Amanda’s maximum flying height.
An additional and presently insuperable problem is the border between India and Pakistan is closed. This will not open until at least 14th June but there is no firm end in sight to the closure of this airspace.
When Solo2Darwin was planned, none of these restrictions were in place. The specific India/Pakistan border issue occurred in February this year but the airspace was reopened for a short period afterwards. Solo2Darwin moved forward but the planned end to those restrictions did not take place. “It’s like hitting a brick wall of restrictions we can’t go around.” Said Mike Wigg, Chief of Technical Support for Solo2Darwin.
“These Airspace restrictions as well as the growing tension and military activity in the Persian Gulf mean that Solo2Darwin cannot continue safely for the moment.”
Planning and Technical Support was always aware that certain parts of the world would be challenging but the escalation of problems in this region has been worse than anticipated and government restrictions cannot be ignored.
Amanda added “So many people offered and have given their support in many ways and we will work to comp @ Beirut, Lebanon