PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using GPS ground speed to resolve Unreliable Airspeed
Old 30th May 2019, 22:41
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
Cool it, Ice. I never claimed you do that GPS stuff BEFORE the memory items. I merely pointed to evidence that suggests that RAD ALT ALIVE's assertion that GPS isn't mentioned in any manuals appears to be rubbish. Even more concerning is that they appear to be an Airbus driver.

In any case, any reader is quite welcome to click on the link I provided (I even gave the page number, for goodness sake) to see what I was getting at.

Anyway, fly any way you like. I (and YT! ) will be calling Pineteam's tower for the 3000ft wind and cruising down final looking closely at the GPS speed. A "Reference Groundspeed Approach" I believe they used to call it!
On TristaR we used iT a lot in wind gradient conditions. Remember landing LHR 23 with surface wind 210/45 and 2000 ft wind 210/70. So we would lose 25;kts during approach. VRef+5 was 140. So flew whole approach at 115 kts GS. NEVER TOUCHED POWER ALL THECWAY DOWN DUE STABILITY OF APPROACH.
Y