PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS Pilatus PC24
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2019, 08:05
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 601
Not at all.

Oh we had some fun back in the 80's playing with DCA, DOT or whatever flavour it was at the time.

I spent 10 years operating a C550 into and out of all kinds of surfaces, sealed, gravel, dirt and grass. The particular C550 had a FM amendment limiting the MTOW to 5700 kg. Yes, a gravel kit was a requirement that included a bleed air turbine to spin the nosewheel.

As I write this, I am looking at a photo of Ms Young landing the Joh Jet on a blacksoil strip at Malvern Hills near Blackall.
Folks,
Back in the day ( Joe's Dreamtime) up on the Cape, a property called Silver Plains changed hands ---- freehold, quite unusual in itself, but possible with a big enough charitable contribution to Joe's Foundation.

Shortly thereafter, there were reported allegations (as in front page of the Courier Mail) of a jet aircraft operation at night out of the Silver Plains strip, unnotified and without lights ---- the implication being that nefarious and dastardly deeds were being committed.

The DCA (for it was they) had a priceless reaction, in a press release DCA said there was no need to investigate unnotified night operations at Silver Plains, as "DCA regulations do not permit the operation of turbine aircraft off unsealed runways" [which, at the time, was correct]
Clearly, DCA believed that any drug runner would be fully compliant with the Air Navigation Act and Regulations, and therefor the reports must have been in error.

Tootle pip!!

PS: Would it surprise you if I said DCA was wrong, based on my often presence in the immediate area at the time.