PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Area frequencies and boundaries
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2003, 06:30
snarek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Triadic

AOPA have previously agreed to transponders in E and I don't see they can back away from that position just because it is not a requirement in the USA. In this day and age, it would be irresponsible to do otherwise. As a member I would lobby strongly to keep that policy in place.
That is not my understanding of the AOPA position. My understanding we supported them above 8500. Transponders in E is also not the US NAS model. I doubt there are many aircraft out there not Txp fitted, but I cannot see that they should be fitted if E is to be lowered to almost ground level under NAS. The idea of E is it is transparent to VFR.

There is no clear benefit to VFR having transponders in E. If there is a Govt funded fit for ADSB then that problem will evaporate, however I doubt AOPA will assist the Govt to get a mandatory, owner funded, fit.

Of course, as a member we welcome your input and experience, but we also need to take into account members with $30K PA 28s on $45K a year.

By the way, have you priced a King Txp lately with Mode C. About $1800 US. It costs about $250 to 'tune' the Mode C, what expence for Mode S???

That alone wouldn't be so bad, what offends me is the ABSOLUTELY NEEDLESS CAR 35s, drawings and 'load calculations' for VFR aircraft, which I think are never really done, just charged for!!!

Edited to add this bit.

Ferris

What is in it for lighties, no more stuffing with stupid airspace over places like the Whitsundays. No more 'remain OCTA' outside Canberra just cos there is a DASH-8 in the sky somewhere when all you want to do is go to Cootamundra. No more disturbing the ATCOs golf game in Coffs or Tamworth to get a clearance, no more getting charged for services we just don't need.

AK

Last edited by snarek; 31st Oct 2003 at 06:50.