PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good Aviation Ideas
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2001, 18:27
Flight Safety

GAA, I thought of that, and thought that maybe ground personnel would have to be asked if they had any medical limitations when hired that would prevent them from performing their duties, including flash induced epilepsy.

VF, your point I hadn't thought of. If the strobe frequency were slow enough (like 2 times per second) would this prevent the propeller from appearing to be stationary, even if the prop and strobes were in sync? Suppose that operational procedures were established that required that the strobes be turned on only while the props were turning, would this be sufficient to establish a clear unmistakable association between the flashing strobes and propeller danger? Would this association be strong enough that it would not be forgotten by ground personnel, even if a slow frequency flash were used, and the prop and flash were in sync?

What effect would a combination of standard light illumination and a slow frequency strobe illumination of the propeller have?

GTE, I believe the author of the article referenced that report. He felt that while those paint schemes helped, they still didn't prevent all of the accidents.

------------------
Safe flying to you...

[This message has been edited by Flight Safety (edited 05 April 2001).]