PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Embraer to be known as Boeing Brazil
View Single Post
Old 29th May 2019, 10:02
ProPax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just don't understand this renaming. What will that achieve, other than irritate the people and politicians in an already overheated country? Brazilians are unbelievably patriotic and, unlike many other patriots, they put their money where their mouths are by buying locally produced goods.

And what I don't understand even more is why Boeing bought it in the first place? To show they can? With all due and sincere respect to Brazilians, they don't really have the lineup. E-jets of the second iteration are not on par with much larger A220 which really CAN replace A319 and B737-7. That said, Embraer did a few very good designs in the past. Is that what Boeing is hoping for, more leverage in the regional segment?

Airbus saved a shedload of money by "buying" the A220 programme. Boeing OTOH will need to invest a lot of money to make a new regional jet/737 replacement/addition. Why not invest that same money into their own engineers and make that aircraft by themselves? They actually have more expertise in what is needed most for the new RJ - the hard learned lessons about composites from the 787 programme. I just don't get it.