PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2019, 15:49
PDXCWL45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caaardiff
Despite the kick in the teeth for the CWL based crews that have been made redundant, this is actually pretty good news for CWL.

I have a feeling that as more routes have been kept than expected, with EDI and DUB seeing further increases in weekly total flights that Flybe either couldn't get out of the contract they had with the Welsh Government, or the Government has negotiated a new deal. Hopefully they aren't throwing any new money at this and it's all from the original deal. I'm surprised ORK and JER have survived which leads me to believe the WG have pulled the strings on this one as well.
Hopefully EDI and DUB can support the 3x daily which offers great options for people wanting to fly and hopefully it's not too late for the release and people haven't booked elsewhere for the Winter.
59 weekly flights can't be that much of a drop from the current number. Does anyone know how many weekly flights Flybe operate currently?
It is better than expected, as i think many were just expecting it to be a lot less. At the moment Flybe operates about 70 departures a week off the top of my head and on routes like EDI and DUB there will be an increase in flights. It's still disappointing that they couldn't keep the base open especially considdering the size of the current schedule. Of course in July Connect take over properly so maybe they will be amenable to it reopening in the future.
With EDI now not having a 07.00 departure it will be interesting to see how the route does compared to this year.
In total Flybe will lose 7 routes, Geneva, Chambery, Glasgow, Munich, Rome, Verona and Venice. Hopefully those routes will be picked up by other airlines.