PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F111-F accident, Scotland 1987
View Single Post
Old 28th May 2019, 00:10
Nigel atkinson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
El Grifo, tried those co ords on google maps and a lat/long finder and it is showing a location to the East of Lauder. I always though this aircraft came down between Stow and Lauder somewhere along the road that joins the A7 and the A68.
The aircraft came down in the field known as The Tower field at east mains farm Lauder. On the A697. The farmer at the time was David Runciman. I lived in a farm cottage about 800m from the crash site. As I had a rifle I had to go down to the crash site and shoot the injured sheep approximately 70 sheep. If you know where the plane came down you can still see the change in the soil. Routeviolet's account is a pretty good account of the area and what I remember, some of the glass in the windows of the cottages was damaged with the impact. The aircraft came down about 200m from the road and between the farm cottages at East Mains and Thirlestane farm
I often think about the two pilots that lost their lives that day I remember seeing part of a photograph of one of them with his family. R.i.p