PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Dual FMGC Failure
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2019, 15:55
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lew747
If you’ve hard tuned in the RAD NAV page a couple of VOR’s/ NDB and then experience dual FMGC failure will these beacons be dropped out and lost from your ND until you recover nav back up? (And have to insert manually again).

I ask because a couple captains always like to tune something into the rad nav page to follow raw data in case of a dual FMGC...
If You have preset some navaids via back-up tuning and then deselect the NAV key You can subsequently have them ready for use once the NAV key is selected again (dual FMGC fail). About 20+ years ago that used to be the procedure in my airline in case of dispatch with 1 FMGC INOP, but that was mainly due to the fact that the airline was relatively new to the Airbus 320 family and coming from conventional liners there was still this "I don't trust You" mentality that luckily quickly disappeared with some Airbus expertise. I believe that the guys You mention are either low experienced on type coming from 737s-like aircrafts or just simply over zealous. Aside of not being an Airbus procedure, statistically speaking it is more likely to have an engine failure on takeoff than a dual fmgc failure.