PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incipient spin instruction legalities
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2019, 11:26
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
I instructed on the RAF Bulldog for a few years. The propensity for "funny" spin modes was well publicised, well before my time in the job. As QFIs we had to practice entry and recovery form a high rotational spin on a regular basis (once a month). We had to carry this out on a mutual basis with another QFI. During the climb we briefed how we intended to enter the spin, how we intended to recover from it (and what minimum aircraft abandonment altitude was) and monitored each other. Always good fun but some QFIs hated doing it. Some QFIs preferred method of getting the spin rate to go high rotational was to enter with and hold some aileron. My technique was to enter normally with neutral aileron then allow the stick to come off the back stop by about one inch - that always worked nicely!

Not long before I left for another job I obtained more aircraft detail regarding weight and balance after the "Navaids upgrade" involved having the aircraft re-weighed (it hadn't been readily available in the past). I did some calculations on our squadron aircraft (I was practicing for my civvie exams). I discovered that it was likely that some were inadvertently being spun outside their C of G limits. If our squadron fleet was typical, it might explain why some pilots found the Bulldog more exciting than it should have been.