PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Stuck Manual Trim Technique
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2019, 02:39
Fly Aiprt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yoko1
We have at our disposal three separate FDR outputs (2 Lion Air, 1 Ethiopian). In each and every one of these outputs, automatic trim inputs (STS, MCAS) and pilot trim inputs are shown on separate traces. On yet another trace, stab position is shown. This is how we can tell that 1) the pilot trim was working, and 2) that this input stopped and countered MCAS every single time it was used. So yes, we actually do know.

Again, what is clear from these outputs is that at least 3 of the 5 pilots who actively controlled the aircraft during a MCAS malfunction were able to hold their own against these unwanted stab inputs. Two did not resulting in subsequent loss of control.

The issue as to why two of these pilots (particularly the Ethiopian Captain) lacked the basic flying skills the other three possessed should certainly be a key area of investigation.
It seems some people here are a bit jumping to conclusions.
Are we so sure that "we actually do know" ?
What makes you believe that they did lose control of the aircraft just for "lack of basic flying skills" ?
Of course you might be privy to facts that we don't know yet, but are we so sure that pilots with "basic flying skills" would have automatically fared better ?
I've seen so many qualified (and sometimes overconfident) pilots lose a big part of their flying skills when suddenly confronted with situation they are not trained for, that I'm getting wary of unsupported declarations.
What is unanswered to this date, is how one of those pilots with those "basic flying skills" would have clearly told the MCAS acting up from just the normal STS operation. How long would it take before the manual trim wheel becomes unmovable ?
I you do actually know, please feel free to share your information with us.
If not, well we're just in the armchair speculation realm...

Last edited by Fly Aiprt; 27th May 2019 at 02:41. Reason: Typo