PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incipient spin instruction legalities
View Single Post
Old 26th May 2019, 05:12
megan

Received 394 Likes on 209 Posts
djpil, perhaps you or JT know the answer. Casting the memory back (always a dangerous thing to do) I seem to recall the Victa 100 had a three turn limit on spinning. Why? Because it got nasty?

As for the word "incipient" I'm happy with the dictionary definition - In an initial or early stage; just beginning to exist or appear.
A good starting point for any investigation of "incipient" is the Latin verb incipere, which means "to begin." "Incipient" first emerged in English in a 1669 scientific text that referred to "incipient putrefaction." Later came the genesis of two related nouns, "incipiency" and "incipience," both of which are synonymous with "beginning." "Incipere" also stands at the beginning of the words "inception" ("an act, process, or instance of beginning") and "incipit," a term that literally means "it begins" and which was used for the opening words of a medieval text. "Incipere" itself derives from another Latin verb, capere, which means "to take" or "to seize."
The AOPA in one paper quotes 10% of all accidents and 13.7% of all fatalities in GA are a result of stall/spin. In my day spinning was part of the syllabus, I gather not so now. The only time an incipient spin would be recognised would be by a well trained pilot, the average Joe has never seen a spin, by the time s/he got their wits about them it would be fully developed I suspect.

Note aileron a 172N, might call it incipient.