PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using GPS ground speed to resolve Unreliable Airspeed
Old 25th May 2019, 22:32
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Small cog

Let me guess, child of the magenta line?

When you learnt to fly were you taught somewhere around lesson 1 that in each aircraft configuration the airspeed achieved will be as a result of the power + attitude? Was it not demonstrated too?

That’s why the manufactures provide “unreliable airspeed” procedures based upon configuration/weight/altitude/attitude and power setting required.
OK. Having started this thread- it’s an interesting one, let me try a reply. First we are talking big planes here and no visual reference. And of course at the time of IAS failure you know your groundspeed. As stated earlier this doesn’t apply to a situation akin to a blindfold pilot , at an unknown altitude, airspeed or wind suddenly being unblindfolded, with no instruments. He is in stable flight prior to the failure. He knows the current wind and GS and also has accurate winds for all altitude on the flight plan. Within 5
So.........,,,
1. Not magenta line guy ! Actually navigated by Astro sextant on passenger jets until 1978! And have flown 737 all variants, 757. 767. l1011. 747-400.
2. Pitch And power were the only way to fly UAS prior to G/S readout. Still the primary source of info. But GPS refines that info and guarantees that you are in the right safe zone
3 captain bloggs above has it right. We are seeking a safe flight and approach which keeps you well away from
stall or excess speed. Guaranteed
4. For years say 1985-1995 many types especially. Tristar used GS on every approach in heavy winds to refine IAS. It then fell out if common use but I’ve seen it used up to recently.
Over, but not out...,,,
its a fascinating thing that there is one readout on the flight deck- actually three- GS that don’t fail and ensure safe flight but very few believe it. One major airline teaches it- maybe others too.
Y