PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 25th May 2019, 14:12
capngrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ProPax
In fact, ALL people divide safe and unsafe as black and white. Either the manufacturer guarantees that the plane will be safe and pilots in full control till the plane is disembarked at the gate, or it is unsafe. For the same reason the pregnancy test only has two indications. You cannot be "slightly pregnant".
I agree that most people use the terms "safe" and "unsafe"; however, there is no such thing as "safe". "Safety" is a concept of relativity. There will always be risk in every human endeavor, ranging from "slight risk" to "severe risk", and the real world deals with risk management, not attempts to achieve absolute safety ... whatever that is. For example, walking is a relatively safe activity given normal circumstances; yet, walking on the edge of an icy precipice in a snowstorm involves more risk, requiring more caution ... hence "risk management". I could go on and on about this, but I won't.

This is just my opinion; but that opinion is based on 43 years of safety related work and accident investigation.

Cheers,
Grog