PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using GPS ground speed to resolve Unreliable Airspeed
Old 25th May 2019, 10:11
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capn Bloggs
Not IMO. Those numbers and procedures are obviously designed for the heat of the moment to prevent you from stalling. A light jet at low level will still accelerate quickly at the recommended UAS parameters and could well end up like the Ethiopians. What's your power setting for 250KIAS at low level?
A 737 will go to Vmo at 10deg pitch and 80% N1 with flaps extended? Or 4 deg pitch and 75% N1 in clean configuration? Even at OEW and a bit of fuel to run the engines, I very much doubt it.

Why do you want to fly exactly at 250 KIAS? It is safe, for sure, but so are UAS pitch/power settings.

I would be very cautios when operating the aircraft outside of manufacturer's recommendations and procedures, especially when it directly contradicts them. A lot of work in the aviation industry went into developing robust UAS procedures post AF447, and they are much better now that they used to be. And despite all the media propaganda, I still believe Boeing engineers and test pilots have more (abnormal) aircraft/sim time and know more about UAS than many of us together.

Boeing FCTM says (my bold):
Memory items for target pitch and thrust must be accomplished as soon as it is suspected that airspeed indications are incorrect.
Good luck explaining to a lawyer why your pitch/thrust settings were better than manufacturer approved procedure, if things end up sideways.