PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2019, 15:18
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
You'll find all the answers in AP129, the RAF Flying Manual. Wartime version hard to find now, mine had useful info such as hand signals for pre-radio days but I gave it to my aviation society. Our revered posters on this wonderful thread, now alas all departed, have plenty to say if you look back to their heyday in 2008-2015 or so. BE WARNED: Once you start looking back your afternoon will disappear in a flash, as mine has just done! Take this example from Sqn Ldr Rupert Parkhouse, who trained on Avro Tutors and was shot down on his second sortie in the Fairey Battle:
At the beginning of December 1939 we started night flying with four paraffin glim lamps in line and two more across the end to form the Tee, with a Chance floodlight on the area where we were supposed to put the aircraft down. I found it very exciting flying in the dark without the standard panel of instruments and I went solo after about three hours' dual. I did three solo circuits and I remember feeling immensely relieved but quite proud afterwards.

I went back to the Mess and was getting into bed when I heard a tremendous thump and immediately thought that someone had gone in. It was Flight Cadet Warren Smith, with whom I had shared a room in my first term, and that was a bit of a shaker. Next day we went out to see the wreckage, rather ghoulishly, and I remember the terrible smell of burnt metal.

We got over it fairly quickly, there was no counselling and in fact this modern craze for counselling strikes me as an undermining of morale because when things like this happen you have to get over it yourself, you have to sort out your fears and just go on.