PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows Restore
Thread: Windows Restore
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2019, 14:58
Mac the Knife

Plastic PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows Restore

Just of of curiosity, has anyone ever actually managed to get back to a Restore Point with this excuse for an application?
The only times it ever worked for me was back in the old XP days - since then it has never succeeded (usually halting with an error) and occasionally made things worse.

For a good while now I have been using Macrium Reflect and found it very reliable - I tend to be lazy and just reimage the disk (because it is usually due to my poking around where MS doesn't want me to go!). My MirrorFolder takes care of important documents, so why am I wasting disk space on this dumb bit application that is unreliable and give folk a false sense of security.

I have an enormously complex (too complex) tier of backup systems that finally ends up in a Quantum LTO-6 tape drive and a couple of tapes. Am I insane? I grew up in the days when hard-drives were as reliable as a junkyard dog and and I am totally paranoid about a) Data loss and, b) Having to reinstall that abortion that Windows 10 has become. And yes, I have Linux and BSD and Mac systems too.

Should I forget it all and move to the Cloud, despite the South Africa's slow connections?

Any ideas welcome.

Mac