PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CMP and JCR
Thread: CMP and JCR
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2019, 13:51
cxorcist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roy De Kantzow
I have previously called in unfit for duty when I have been unable to rest, or my cumulative fatigue is so great that I am in no fit state to operate.

However, one can never say for certain that controlled rest may be needed.

When beginning a duty at 1am body clock, one may feel OK. Then lo and behold a couple of hours later, the body crashes and needs sleep, so controlled rest is taken.

I use controlled rest not because I'm unprofessional, but because I'm a human. I use it to protect myself from fatigue and its long term affects. I fully encourage the use of as much controlled rest as possible. At the end of the day you get one shot at life, and I am sure there are studies proving that irregular sleep is bad for your health. Being a hero and staying up all night, is kinda daft in my view. Controlled rest makes me feel better, and I have no qualms about using it. Regardless of how well you rest in the time prior to flight, the body's circadian rhythm still functions. I would argue using controlled rest is more professional than not, as it increases the body's ability to deal with problems and reduces fatigue.
Absolutely correct! That RAT brings this up as an issue is a ridiculous red herring. Must be covering for something else. Wonder what that might be???