PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ab initio teenager - tailwheel or tri...?
Old 24th May 2019, 10:42
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
they speak to the club house experts who tell them they should't and then then they switch.
'Probably time to speak to different experts.

to avoid you having to stay on the ground whilst tricycle aeroplanes are able to fly.
After truly taking the time to practice and learn properly on a taildragger I bought, I found that it will handle a crosswind every bit as well as the 150 I also own. Yes, it requires pilot attention, but once that attention is applied, it is adequately controllable well in excess of its demonstrated crosswind value, and for anywhere I would like to take it. I have flown it in northern Canada, where many airports have only runway, and there too far apart to fly to the next because you don't like the wind direction. Sometimes you had to handle crosswinds.

That said, I have found that the least pilot effort/uncertainty for my landings in any wind is obtained with wheel landings, I no longer choose to three point any taildragger I fly. I find this to be somewhat validated in that the few taildraggers in which I have been formally checked out, I have been trained that an three point landing is to be avoided - primarily the DC-3T.