PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RUSSIAN MOSCOW ACCIDENT
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2019, 06:14
Propstop

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
In the 90s I was working in Riyan International Airport in Yemen. A Yemenia DHC-7 crew saw me at the aircraft I was looking after and asked me to inflate a partially deflated tyre as they were going back to Aden.
I did that quick job and was taken to the pax steps and given a cold bottle of water (40C on the tarmac). What I saw shocked me to the core; the emergency exit was packed to the roof with excess baggage. The only exit would have been the cabin door, but the baggage would have blocked that as well or the window exits at row 10 or thereabouts as it is many years since I worked on the dash sevens.
A week or so before a Yemenia B737 taxied to the end of the apron and shut down and the crew immediately vacated out the cockpit windows on the ropes with the cabin crew not far behind leaving the passengers on board. I was told there was a bomb scare on board, Bit like the Concordia captain who fell into a lifeboat.An hour later the pax were disembarked.
I saw similar on a flight I was on with Libyan Arab Airlines B727 from Tripoli to Zurich where the bags which would not fit into the lockers were piled in one exit. I was relieved to get safely to Zurich.
Travelling in Australia I have seen many unsuitable people in exit rows.