PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA + CASA + FAA + CAA + DGCA
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2019, 04:40
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vag277
In response to the usual uninformed rants about the extent of Australian differences from ICAO SARPS, see here https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...ction_1.7.html for the FAA.. No one should wish zero differences. We could not afford it
Folks,
Last time I noticed, Australia filed something over 4000 differences to ICAO --- based on evidence to the RRAT Senate Standing Committee.(Nearly 5000??)

Think of the unemployment consequences if we complied.

Quite frankly, many of the differences, of which I am aware, are farcical, and complying would make no difference, certainly not risk levels.

In short, in my opinion, many of the Australian "differences" are differences for the sake of being different. But they do often have quite severe operational or other financial penalties.

Indeed, one former CASA very senior lawyer was of the view that ICAO compliance equated to "surrendering our sovereignty" ----- risk management ( aka. air safety) didn't rate as an issue.

Tootle pip!

PS: Last time I looked, US only filed a very small number of difference to ICAO Annex X, Vol 2 Standard Phraseology --- mostly to do with descent clearances..

Last edited by LeadSled; 24th May 2019 at 04:46. Reason: spelling